In many ways abusive relationships in the LGBQ/T community look very much like abusive relationships in other communities. However, in other ways the experience of abuse is particular to survivors who identify as part of this community.
Unique tactics of abuse that LGBQ/T community members may experience include (but are not limited to):
- Isolation from LGBQ/T social spaces, groups, family, and friends
- Controlling identity and gender expression and/or using the wrong name/pronouns
- Outing/threatening to out around gender identity, sexuality, and/or polyamory
- Inappropriate comments about body and voice
- Not allowing partner to heal from gender reassignment surgery
- Being forbidden to take gender affirming hormone therapy